Thursday, November 13, 2008

Covered Wagon Memories

Gladys was reminiscing about her youth this morning:

"When we came this way in the covered wagon sometimes
my dad would get out a great big fry pan to make
big old pancakes. He called them "Bannocks".

He'd help Mom out by cooking. She had so much to do,
driving a wagon and keeping track of us all.

He'd yell, "You kids come get one of these and you won't be
hungry for quite awhile."

We'd put butter and syrup on the bannocks. One was all I could hold.
I don't remember how much my brother and sisters could eat.

We almost always had smoked herring. My Dad really liked it.
I'd eat it if I was hungry enough.

He'd buy it by the pound. He'd keep it in a bag. I
don't know where he bought it. He'd just peel it off.

My Dad chewed, it came in a plug. I didn't like the
smell of it" says Gladys.

No comments: